Another meeting with Superintendent of GNP, Jeff Mow, took place today. The most important parts:
- In a meeting with the Blackfeet Tribe, State Medical Director, County Health Officials, and the Directors of the various health organizations on the Blackfeet Reservation, the notion that it is “important to open sooner than later” was universally agreed upon. While this does not solidify any dates or details it does sound like things are moving in the right direction for the East Side of Glacier National Park.
- The Blackfeet Reservation has entered Phase 3 of its COVID-19 plan, which relaxes most of the restrictions that have been put in place for the last year. The Tribe announced an 80% vaccination rate, putting it ahead of most of the world.
- St. Mary, Rising Sun, and Cut Bank Creek campgrounds will not open for summer 2021.
- Boating opportunities on the East Side of Glacier will “likely exist” this summer.
- No news regarding the Canadian border.
- Full wilderness/backcountry access expected for GNP.
- More talk about construction projects in and around GNP. Check here for an official map and discussion from NPS.
- Much talk about the potential for ticketed entry to the Going to the Sun Corridor. NPS has yet to make the decision, but plan on finalizing it by the end of March.
- Finally, we should learn more once the Blackfeet Tribal Business Council meets again on the issue of re-opening the East Side of the Park on March 17.